Rules when playing blackjack
There are different types of table games, but the one that takes time to learn is blackjack. It applies in both land-based casinos and online casinos. There are blackjack rules you have to familiarize and understand so you can take your gaming experience to new heights. The thing is that it is easier to learn online blackjack than the ones offered in land-based casinos. The process is summarized in this manner:
- Choose a gambling site that offers blackjack.
- Sign up for an account and deposit real cash.
- Place your bet.
- Check the movement of the card and make a decision accordingly.
The main blackjack rules
When playing blackjack in land-based casinos, the goal is to get the better hand than other players. However, if you are playing online, your goal is to beat the dealer. It is either you get the dealer buster or ensure your hand is closer to 21. The hand of other players in the table has nothing to do with the outcome of the game in online blackjack.
You start with selecting a seat. There are instances when no seats are vacant. So, you have to wait until a seat becomes available. Once you are seated, you will see a large round area to which the generic bet is placed. There is also a separate area for the side bet. In the middle part of the table is the standard rule for a specific table.
Getting to know the different blackjack terminologies
A significant part of learning blackjack rules is understanding the different terminologies. Some of the commonly used terminologies are the following:
- Hit – it is the term used if you are dealt with another card.
- Stand – If you are already satisfied with your hand and don’t need any more actions, you stand.
- Split/re-split – You can create two hands by separating two the same cards or cards of the same value.
- Double down – You double your stake and at the same time receive an additional card.
- Surrender – If you decide to fold your card, you surrender. You will get back only half of the stake. The player surrenders if he/she sees that the chances of winning is slim.
- Insurance – If you decide to have an insurance bet, it will cost half of your original stake. You will win the insurance if the dealer’s second card happens to be a 10, J, Q, or K.
- Bust – If the value of the card is more than 21, you are busted.
- Bet behind – If you place your bet on another player’s hand, the term is bet behind. However, it can only be done if you are seated at the table, meaning it will serve as an extra bet.
- Natural blackjack – If the first two cards dealt to you sums up to 21, it is called natural blackjack. You will instantly win. A tie is possible if the dealer happens to have a natural blackjack too.
- Blackjack – At any point in the game, you get a hand valued at 21; you hit the blackjack. It is the winning hand, but a tie is also possible if the dealer happens to have 21 at the same time.
- Tie – When the player and the dealer have the same hand at the end of the game.
- 21+3 – It is a part of the side bet. Suppose the payout’s size is based on a 3-card poker hand from the initial cards and the upcard of the dealer.
- Perfect pairs – If luck is on your side, you will be dealt with the first two cards of the same rank and suit; you’ll hit the perfect pair, which pays 30:1. It is a part of the side bet.
Understanding the value of cards in blackjack
A significant part of blackjack rules is understanding the corresponding value of every card. When playing blackjack, all cards are used with the exception of the joker. Below is the corresponding value of the card:
- Ace – It could be counted as 1 or 11, depending on the cards at hand.
- 10, J, Q, and K – They are valued at 10.
- 2 to 9 – The value is the same as the face value.
Live blackjack dealer rules
When playing blackjack, there are dealer rules that should abide by at all times. However, the rules vary from one blackjack table to another. The generic rule is to stand on 17 and hit on 16. What does it mean? To simplify – the dealer can get a new card if their hand is less than 17. Other betting actions that a dealer cannot do such as surrender, split, and double down.
Live blackjack players rules
When playing real money blackjack in live casinos, there are no specific rules to remember. All actions are on the table. So you have to focus on the table. The presence of mind is important when gambling. After a split, double down after a split is less common in live blackjack, although it is common in land-based casinos. It is also important to observe table etiquette. Be polite when chatting and don’t take too much time in making decisions.
How to increase your chances of winning?
You can increase your chances of winning and lowers the possibility of losing by employing certain blackjack strategies. They don’t guarantee to win, but they can help maximize the chances of winning. Take the time to learn the different blackjack strategies so you can take your gaming experience to new heights. These strategies may or may not work, but the thing with blackjack is that it is not entirely based on chance or luck. Your skills have something to do with the outcome of the game. Learning to play blackjack may take some time, especially if you have not tried playing it before. However, the rules are pretty simple and easy to learn. Practice playing, and you will eventually get the hang of it. Some casinos let you play using virtual money, which is a good practice platform.