Is it legal to play online casino in India?
One of the most important things to consider is your state’s take on gambling when it comes to playing casino games. Does your country allow gambling, specifically casinos? If yes, then does the state where you live in doesn’t any special regulations that prohibit gambling? If you are residing in India and want to know if is it legal to play online casinos in India, you have come to the right place. We are going to discuss online casino legality and the list of the top licensed casinos in the country.
Fortunately, there is no federal law in India prohibiting casino gambling on both online and offline platforms. However, each state has the right to impose laws within its area of responsibility. In most states in India, online gambling is legal, and only a few states prohibit gambling.
What is the current legal state of online gambling in India?
The Indian parliament has always been looking for the growing number of Indians engaging in online gambling. However, the house is divided – one side pushes for the complete banning of gambling in all forms while the other side advocates legal gambling but with some regulation. India’s Federal government has not come up with a resolution yet, which means that it is said to play casino games, be it on online or offline platforms. Each state has been given the discretion to set its own legislation on gambling in their respective territory.
Which state prohibits gambling?
Only a few states in India have passed legislation on online gambling. The state of Maharashtra prohibits gambling in all forms, including online and land-based casinos.
Which state allows gambling?
Many states in India allow gambling in all forms, including online and land-based casinos. The states of Goa and Sikkim have legalized gambling but in a regulated manner. These states have land-based casinos, and many people from different parts of India travel to these states to play casino games. Some who don’t like to travel can take advantage of online casinos, especially live casinos, as they offer the same experience as the land-based casinos.
The history of gambling in India
India has a rich gambling history. Hundreds of years ago, Indians were already gambling. They play traditional Indian games like Teen Patti and Andar Bahar – widely played in different parts of India, from the smallest villages to the biggest ones. However, back then, there were no concrete rules that regulate these games.
When the British colonized India, they imposed their morals and ethics, and one of the things they do is to enact India’s first gambling law known as The Public Gambling Act of 1867. Even after British colonization, the Indian government has not done anything to amend the law. Up until today, it is still in full effect in most parts of India.
Although The Public Gambling Act of 1867 is still in full effect, it does not include online gambling because it obviously doesn’t exist during its legislation. Hence, it is safe to say that online gambling in India is legal. For online gambling to be marked as illegal in India, the government needs to amend the law, which does not seem to happen anytime soon.
What to keep in mind?
- In general, gambling is legal in India. It is in the legal grey area, and so everyone is safe.
- Although gambling is legal, not all are eligible to play. You need to be of legal age and ensure that the state you currently live in does not prohibit gambling.
- You need to show documents that you are 18 years old and above.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will you be arrested for playing in an online casino?
No. There has been no record of a person accused or prosecuted for playing in an online casino in India. It is unlikely to happen, but it does not mean that it could not happen at all. If you consider the gambling law in India, it does not include online gambling, so it is generally safe to say that online gambling is legal.
Will you have legal responsibilities if you play online casino games through international gambling sites?
Playing casino games through international gambling sites in India is allowed. You will not be put in any legal issues whatsoever. The truth is all online casino sites that accept Indian players operate outside Indian territory.
What deposit method to use when funding your online casino account?
There are many ways to deposit in online casinos. If you are looking for the easiest and less complicated ways of funding your online casino account, choose options like AstroPay Card, PayTM, UPI, and instant online bank transfer.
Is it legal to withdraw your earnings from online casinos?
Yes! By all means, you can withdraw your earnings from online casinos. It is non-taxable, but if it comes a time when the Indian government regulates online gambling, you might need to pay a certain amount of tax on your earnings from online gambling. Fortunately, there is no such law yet, which means that you can keep your winnings all by yourself.
What are the highly reputable online casino sites that accept Indian players?
Many online casinos are accepting Indian players, but we narrowed down the choices and chose only those with excellent track records. They are the following:
- Betway Live Casino – It has a wide selection of live casino games and offers a 100% matchup bonus or up to Rs. 90,000.
- Pure Casino – It is an online casino site dedicated to Indian players with game selections, including classic Indian games.
- Casumo – It is one of the most trusted online casino sites in the world.
- 22Bet Casino – It is known for its generous welcome bonus and enticing promotions.
- Casino Days – Its selection of online casino games includes Indian favorites like Andar Bahar and Teen Patti.
- Genesis Casino – Just like Pure Casino, Genesis is also exclusive for Indian players.
- Europa Casino – It offers the most generous bonuses for Indian players.
- Twin Casino – it has a massive selection of online slot machines.
- ComeOn Casino – It is one of the most excellent live casinos in India.
State Gambling Regulations in India
India is a big country with 29 states and 7 union territories. Each state has its own laws and regulations aside from federal laws. Some of the states have very strict laws regarding betting and gambling. For example, in Assam and Orissa, gambling is completely banned. However, Goa and Sikkim have regulated gambling via licensed land-based casinos. Here, we take a look at the states and their respective gambling laws.
- Goa – Goa is one of the three states in India where gambling is completely legal. Here, gambling is regulated according to the Goa, Daman, and Diu Public Gambling Act, 1976. Anyone visiting Goa or foreigners can visit the land-based casinos in Goa. It is also absolutely fine to join online casinos if you reside in Goa.
- Assam – Assam introduced the Assam Game and Betting Act of 1970 which declared gambling illegal. However, Horse racing is allowed in the state. You can also play on online casino as the state of Assam has no law against online gambling.
- Telangana – In Telangana, all kinds of gambling are strictly prohibited. Online gaming is also forbidden. You can join online casinos from Telangana but keep in mind that you can be prosecuted if you get caught.
- Delhi – Delhi Public Gambling Act of 1955 prohibits gambling and betting within the state. However, you can join online casinos as they are based outside of India.
- Bihar – Bihar also follows the Public Gambling Act of 1867 like other states. It doesn’t have a law of its own which makes it fine for Indian players residing in this state to gamble online.
- Maharashtra – Maharashtra has strict gambling laws but lottery and horse race betting are legal. People from Maharashtra can join online casinos and play games as long as the casino is based outside India.
- West Bengal – According to West Bengal Gambling and Prize Competition Act of 1957, rummy, lottery, and horse racing are legal in the state. You can also join online casinos due to lax gambling laws in West Bengal.
- Karnataka – According to the Karnataka Police Act of 1963, some gambling activities such as rummy, horse racing, and poker are legal in the state. However, online gambling is strictly prohibited for the people in Karnataka state. Engaging in online gambling or betting can result in prison time of up to 3 years or Rs. 1 lakh fine.
- Punjab – In Punjab, gambling is regulated by the Public Gaming Act of 1867. The state allows lottery and rummy. It is also possible to gamble online in Punjab as there is no restriction on it.
- Gujarat – Gujarat regulates gambling via the Gujarat Prevention of Gambling Act of 1887 which states that all forms of gambling are restricted. However, there is no mention of online gambling in the bill which makes it fine for people from Gujarat to join online casinos and betting sites.
- Madhya Pradesh – In Madhya Pradesh, gambling is prohibited in accordance with the National Public Gaming Act of 1867. However, as there is no mention of online gambling in the bill, people living in MP are allowed to join online casinos.
- Haryana – Haryana tried to legalize gambling in 2005 but the proposal was declined. It still follows the Public Gaming Act of 1867 which failed to mention anything about online gambling in India thus making it possible for people from Haryana to play on online casinos.
- Rajasthan – In Rajasthan, gambling is banned but horse racing and rummy are legal. However, online gambling is possible for people from Rajasthan.
- Tamil Nadu – Tamil Nadu is one of the few states in India which has completely banned gambling in all forms. However, horse racing is allowed. You can play at online casinos but at your own risk.
- Uttar Pradesh – Uttar Pradesh also regulates gambling via the Public Gaming Act of 1867. It allows horse racing just like all the other states. People from UP are recommended to join online casinos as there is no law against it.