Online Betting in India
Online betting is more complex than you think, especially in India where the online gambling laws are vague. There is no definite black and white rule. To help you find the easy way to online betting, we have come up with this online betting guide.
Best Betting Sites in India
Guides to Online Betting in India
Our guide aims to give you answers to the following questions:
- What sites in India are the best for betting?
- How do I deposit money?
- Is betting allowed in India?
Online Betting in India
Betting has been around since time immemorial. It is one of the favorite pastimes of many, including Indians. It’s safe to say that betting is ingrained in Indian DNA. Games of chance are a part of Indian’s culture and tradition and are played in most regions. With advancements in technology, betting in India has transformed significantly, from India’s streets to online betting platforms.
Online betting sites in India were not a big thing many years ago, but recently, it has gained a lot of popularity. They’ve opened more betting sites and made them available to Indian players. They tailored their features and services to Indian players.
Best Online Betting Sites in India
We reviewed online betting sites in India, and the names that made it at the top of our list are the following:
- Betway Casino (Generous Welcome Bonus)
- 10Cric Casino ( Exclusively for Indian Players)
- Bet365 (Established betting brand)
- ComeOn (Excellent overall gambling site)
- 1XBet (Offers Cash on delivery)
- Dafabet (Allows exchange betting)
- 22Bet (A huge array of cricket bets)
- Casumo (Excellent mobile products)
Our top two choices for Indian players are the following:
Betway – It is number one on our list because its features are compatible to Indian players. It is a user-friendly site and supports Indian Rupees, not to mention it offers many betting options on various sports. Below are the reasons why Betway is our top one:
- It caters to the Indian market.
- It is one of the oldest and most trusted bookmakers.
- It offers a generous welcome bonus.
- It accepts various payment methods.
- It has a dedicated app that supports live streaming.
- It has competitive odds.
10Cric – It is a gambling site exclusive to Indian players. It focuses on sports popular in India, such as cricket and Kabaddi. Below are the reasons why 10Cric is included in our list:
- It has one of the generous welcome bonuses (Rs. 20,000).
- It provides many deposit options.
- It is exclusive to Indian players.
- The customer support team is friendly and helpful.
- It accepts Indian Rupees and local bank transfers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cricket Betting in India
Indians bettors would agree that cricket is the most popular sport in the country. The first-ever match was in 1721, a momentous match participated by about 400 million people. Although cricket matches are not as vast as other sports like soccer and tennis, many Indians participate in online cricket betting.
Best cricket betting sites in India
Bet on the IPL
Many cricket events are happening year-round. These include PSL, BBL, APL, BPL, Test Championship, World Cup, The Hundred, T20 World Cup, MSL, and Global T20, to name a few. The Indian Premier League (IPL) is one event that Indian’s can’t afford to miss when talking about online cricket betting. It is a prestigious T20 tournament in India happening once a year. The event’s highlight is the tennis celebrity who will place the crown to the best Indian cricket team. It is the biggest event for cricket bettors as the money at stake are millions of Indian Rupees, and they are wagered on every match. The best cricket betting site in India for us is Bet365.
Bet365 India – We chose Bet365 as the main bookmakers in India as it has built a solid reputation in the sports betting sector. Other reasons to select Bet365 are the following:
- It is one of the cricket betting sites that supports Indian Rupees.
- It offers a generous welcome bonus and exciting offerings.
- It has an excellent cricket betting selection.
- It provides free live streaming of sporting events.
Other Sports Betting Options
Cricket is the main sport for Indian bettors, but apart from cricket, other sports Indian bettors can bet on. These include:
- Football – Football events are happening almost every day, especially during spring. When choosing an Indian football betting site, you must consider support for Indian rupees, bonuses, promotions, live betting options, and the possibility to live stream.
- Kabaddi – It might sound new to non-Indians, but for Indian bettors, Kabaddi is extremely popular, to the point that it might take the place of cricket as the top betting sport in India. The addition of the Pro Kabaddi League is one of the reasons for its massive popularity. Pro Kabaddi League (KPL) is when the top Kabaddi players in the world gather and play in front of a huge crowd of over 60 matches.
- Horse Racing – Indian bettors can place their bet on horse racing online. However, there are not many betting sites that offer odds on horse racing. One betting site suitable for horse racing is Bet365. It provides daily races and live streaming of horse racing events.
An Indian betting app is preferred by many over a website. Fortunately, there are many betting sites with dedicated apps, and one of the highly reputable sites is ComeOn Casino.
ComeOn India is a betting site that works best on a mobile device. It has a strong reputation in Europe and has been around for many years now. Its mobile offering is something you can’t find elsewhere – mobile-friendly features and betting apps are super-fast and secure. Below are the reasons why we recommend ComeOn Casino for sports betting on a mobile device:
- Mobile-first focus
- Great betting apps for India
- User-friendly interface
- Extravagant online casino
- Accepts deposit in Indian rupees
- Generous welcome bonus of up to Rs. 10,000
Legal Betting in India
Is online betting legal in India? It is one of the common questions many Indian bettors and has, and most, often than not, the answer is unclear and can be confusing. We’re here to clear your confusion. However, we reiterate that we are not legal experts. It is best if you do your own research before trying online betting.
Quick information on legal betting in India
- No federal laws that restrict online betting in India.
- Only a few states have explicit laws against gambling, including online betting.
- No Indians, for the record, are prosecuted for betting online.
- You are free to try out betting in India for as long as you don’t live in a state with explicit laws against gambling.
Indian Local Betting Sites
Many years ago, bettors needed to go to a bookmaker to bet in India, but with the presence of online betting sites in India, bettors don’t need to go to a bookmaker as they can easily place their bet online. Local bookmakers have adapted to the system and now moved to local betting sites.
Pros and Cons of Local Betting Sites
- Provides in-person assistance and support
- Allow credit betting
- Sloppy products
- Requires in-person for payout
- Slow in-play betting
- No other casino games offered
How to start online betting in India?
How to start placing wagers? We will discuss the process below:
- Choose a betting site and register.
- Deposit real money.
- Place your bet.
- Withdraw money.
Choose and register a free betting account.
Find your preferred online betting site and register a free account. If you have not found one yet, consider these three top betting sites for Indians: Betway, 10Cric, and ComeOn. Setting up an account is easy. You’ll need to provide basic information like your email address, phone number, physical address, and unique password. Do not hesitate to give this information as it is securely stored on the server and cannot be accessed by others.
Once your account is already set up, the next step is to check what the site can offer. Does it have betting odds on the sports you want to place your bet on? Does it have casino games, too? Is the site mobile-optimized? Does it support Indian Rupees and offer numerous payment options? If you don’t like their products and services, you can logout and go on searching for a site that suits your taste and preference. If the site is okay with you, you can go ahead and proceed to the next step.
Deposit money to online betting site
The next important step is to fill your account with real money. For Indians, it is quite difficult to fund a gambling account using standard bank transfer as the government is trying to stop offshore sites from taking money from Indians. The best payment method for Indians by far is NetBanking or UPI. They are safe and easy to use. If NetBanking and UPI are not available, your next best options would be e-Wallets like Skrill and Neteller.
Place a Sports Bet
Once your account has money in it, you are now ready for the next step – place your bet. Go to the site’s sports section and choose a category, sport, or event you want to place your bet on. There are many bet options on any form of event. Choose a chance and click on the odds. A bit slip is created, and your bet will be added to that, including the odds you selected. Specify how much money you want to risk on this bet. Click “place bet,” and the amount is deducted from your account. Now all you need to do is wait for the result. Your winnings will be credited to your account soon after the event has concluded. There is no waiting time.
Withdraw money from a betting site
When the time comes for you to withdraw your winning, please know that you can withdraw it using the same method you used when depositing money. However, if you are withdrawing funds through your credit card, you will need to send your bank details so the money from your account will be successfully transferred to your card. The problem with withdrawing via credit card is it would take some time for the money to reach your card, especially if it is your first time make a withdrawal. The reason behind this is the KYC system or Know Your Customer system. You will need to submit some documents like:
- Proof of identities such as driver’s license or passport
- Proof of address such as utility bill or bank statement
- Recent photo
Note: The documents mentioned above are usually sent before funding your account, so you won’t need to wait long when withdrawing your funds. Please note that a PAN Card will not be accepted as a proof of identity for proof of identity.
Understanding Gambling Laws in India
Laws, be it gambling or otherwise, are vague. A lot of things can fall into the grey area rather than black or white. The same thing goes to gambling laws in India. Gambling laws in India are outdated in the sense that they didn’t include advances in technology. The Indian government uses the Public Gambling Act of 1867, a law that is more than 150 years old but up to this date. It is not amended up to this date. Under the Public Gambling Act of 1867, running a gambling house is illegal, and those who will be caught will be penalized Rs. 100 or one-month imprisonment.
What about online betting?
It is not physically located in India, and many Indians are participating in it. Not a single person in India has been fined or arrested for participating in online betting or online gambling as a whole.
It is fortunate to know that India allows each state to decide its own gambling laws. Some of the states that already allowed gambling are:
In these states, you can find brick-and-mortar casinos. In fact, there are 12 physical casinos in Goa and Sikkim. However, these gambling sites only operate offline. What about online gambling? There is a particular law, The Information Technology Act 2000, stating that any online activities considered corruptible as per the government’s definition is strictly prohibited. Those who will get caught will be fined up to Rs. 1,00,000 and or five years imprisonment.
Is online gambling completely prohibited?
Not really! Indian bettors can place bets on offshore betting and casino sites such as Betway, Bet365, 10Cric, and ComeOn. These sites are outside India, and the Indian government can’t do anything about it. They can in some sort, such as with regards to payments, but these concerns were already discussed above.
To sum it up, gambling in India allowed in some states as each state has the freedom to decide whether or not to allow gambling activities. However, it only covers offline gambling (physical casino). For online gambling, the law is not clear. Should you want to participate in online gambling, you can do so at an offshore bookmaker or casino. A new report was released in July of 2018 from India’s law commission stating that effective regulation is the best way to deal with gambling in India, especially if the total ban is unenforceable. This is quite a light at the end of the tunnel for online gambling, but it is still regulation, and nothing is final yet.
Gambling experts and players feel like there is hope, but it would take some time before it will be turned into a law. For now, if you want to participate in online betting and gambling, your best choice is offshore online gambling sites. Always take the risk-free route; better be safe than sorry. Observe all precautionary measures and do not publicly advertise you are participating in online betting or let alone participate in online gambling. Take all the information you learn from here to protect yourself while getting the most of what online betting offers.